Author

  • Admin_Chambra

Share

The castle of Puivert.

What remains of the castle are the quadrangular walls and their six towers. It was built at the beginning of the XIV century, therefore after the crusade, where there used to be a fortress of the XI century, taken by Simon de Monfort in 1210. There is a wide grass courtyard inside the walls which are made of limestone blocks. The central structure of the castle is a quadrangular tower with rooms built on four levels, among which there a is a Gothic chapel and a room used as museum, with a Gothic umbrella vault and ribs supported by sculptures representing musicians and musical instruments (reproduced in the museum’s cases). Other smaller towers used to be stock rooms or housed the garrison. The owner of the castle is still living in one of the towers, and the castle can be visited: tel. 33 (0)4 68 20 81 52.

Map

Nearby...loading