Author

  • Admin_Chambra

Share

La Couvertoirade

La Couvertoirade is an ancient Templar castle still surrounded by encircling walls and towers. A reference to the “Cubertoirata” can be found in the XI century as property of the Gellone abbey. It used to be a post station along a “dralha”, a transhumance route of the Languedoc area. It was an ideal place for a settlement thanks to the presence of pasturelands, cultivable fields and water. When the Templar Order was suppressed in 1312, the Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem, and the Knights of Malta afterwards, gained possession of the castle. During the One Hundred Years War, specifically between 1439 and 1442, the settlement was equipped with walls and towers. Nowadays, La Couvertoirade is a very touristic hamlet thanks to the overall beauty of its complex. There are a XIII-XIV century church partly carved in the rock and a big underground tank next to it, which supplies water to the community. The cemetery is of great interest thanks to its numerous medieval funerary stones, all representing a variously decorated Greek cross, engraved in a solar disc facing the east. The XII century castle, partially reduced to ruins, is a private property.

Map

Nearby...loading