Author

  • Admin_Chambra

Share

Lagrasse

The medieval village of Lagrasse (XII-XIII century), commendably preserved, arose near the Benedictine abbey of Ste-Marie d'Orbieu, founded in the VIII century. The impressive abbey complex, entirely walled, is located to the west of the stream Orbieu. The monastery can be visited: for information, tel. 33 (0)4 68 43 15 99. The Pont Vieux, built after 1303 and repeatedly modified afterwards, leads to the old town and to the square including important medieval buildings, with workshops and warehouses on the ground floor, and houses on the higher floors. There is a beautiful covered loggia (XIV century) at the centre of the square where the market still takes place nowadays: the village arose during the Late Middle Ages and it was originally a craft textile centre and the biggest market of the Basses Corbières.

Map

Nearby...loading