Author

  • Admin_Chambra

Share

Labastide-de-Virac

The village of Labastide-de-Virac, rising on a relief, is dominated by the castle of the Counts of Roure (XIV-XV century). They were Huguenots, later converted to Catholicism after the revocation of the edict of Nantes (1685). The castle was taken by the Camisards during the religious wars of 1703. It finally ended up in the Pradier family during the French Revolution. It is still inhabited nowadays and  is open to the public. It can be reached by walking up narrow alleys among beautiful stone buildings. The castle’s courtyard hosts a refreshment bar which is usually open. There is a museum inside the castle, dedicated to sericulture and silk production, with a permanent silkworm breeding farm. There is also the possibility of visiting a retrospective in Languedoc on the repression of the Protestant reform.

Map

Nearby...loading